Tuesday, September 1, 2009

HALF DOME


The first American to visit Yosemite Valley deemed Half Dome to be, "perfectly inaccessable being probably the only of the prominent points about the Yosemite which never has been, and never will be trodden by human foot."


The Lundeen family begs to differ...

16.4 miles round trip
4,800 ft. elevation gain
14 hours



On the summit


Lili was such a good hiker. Kylan carried her the whole way and she was a great hiking buddy. She loved playing by the streams every time we stopped, the shirt started out white! You might notice the t-shirt loincloth she is wearing. Apparently I am not a good packer for 14 hour hikes. We ran out of diapers for both girls just after we started the descent, with 6 hours to go. Awesome.

Love those water/nurse/give my aching legs a rest breaks! Thanks to Brian for carrying Serelle the whole way, I'm not sure I could have made it if I had to carry her! The destination looms in the background.



At the base of the cables. Worst butterflies of my life.


Thank you Kylan for taking the picture and not participating!


At the end of a very long day. Note: Lili is still wearing the loincloth and Serelle is wearing Satchel's swim diaper and Tiffany's tanktop. Note to self: pack more diapers!


I wasn't exactly planning on hiking all the way to the top, but am so glad that I did. There is such an amazing sense of accomplishment when you push your body to do something this challenging. Thanks to Kylan and the rest of the Lundeen clan for helping me do hard things. I loved it. Check one off the bucket list.

10 comments:

Adria said...

WOW!! what a huge accomplishment! my props to you my dear!!

it looks like you married into such a awesome family. i love all of the pictures.

Michaelson Family said...

Ok...you are hilarious! I LOVE the loincloth! Props to you for being brave enough to take your kids on such a crazy hike. You are a better woman than I am.

Tecia said...

Wow! That is definitely a huge feat...especially with kids! Crazy, but very very cool.

Erin said...

Looks very fun and hard. Good job guys.

Whitney or Kevin said...

In the moment you handled it so much better than I would have. I probably would have broke down crying-- but in the moment those things are so frustrating but come on! That picture is going to bring back such funny memories! What an awesome hike. We all made it down alive and that's all I was hoping for.

jenn said...

cool! that inspires me to actually get out and do something! nice save with the diapers. i'd love to hang out while the guys ride bikes. maybe.... you will get one too!? then WE can ride while they watch kids!!

BrittWilk said...

love that you did half dome! it's still on my bucket list. :)

your girls are so cute. i love that they look so different from each other! i love lili's bangs. she's such a stylin' girl. and that's a rocking way to celebrate 60. my dad turns 60 this year - i think i'll make a suggestion!

mrs. timberlake said...

i have started a comment like five times. i can't think of the words to express what the loincloth does to me. i love it.

i think i would have just sat down and cried.

i said this to elise over the summer. i will now immortalize it on your blog: "there is something very familiar about lili. she always makes me think of my mackenzie."

The Skeehan Family said...

I would not say you ran out of diapers, I would say you wanted to be innovative and get back to your pioneer roots and improvise. I am ridiculously impressed. I can't even imagine hiking Half Dome - Dan has told me all about its insanity. Wow.

One can NEVER say the Lundeen's ever hold back. Wow.

elise said...

I have to say that I really think it was much further than 16.4 miles round trip. I heard numbers like 21+. Of course that may have been my own muttering.