Thomas S. Monson, whose friendship with President Hinckley dates back more than 45 years—long before either of them was a General Authority—and continues unabated, says: “President Hinckley is a prophet with keen vision, an enormous capacity for work, and abiding faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. He combines all of that with a clear, commanding mind and a very tender heart. The Church and indeed the whole world will be blessed by his special qualities of leadership.”
I don't doubt that the church, as well as the world, has been blessed by the leadership of President Hinckley. I know that I personally have been blessed by his example and leadership.

So I'm not sure that I really thought a Mormon could become the President of the USA, and apparently not enough Americans were either! I read an article in the Wall Street Journal where a journalist interviewed a sociology professor Armand Mauss: “I don’t think any of us had any idea of how much anti-Mormon stuff was out there … there is the equivalent of anti-Semitism still out there.” Sateline said that the recent campaign had exposed “a surprisingly virulent strain of anti-Mormonism that had been largely hidden from the general public.”
Having lived in Utah my whole life I wasn't aware of all the ani-Mormon influence there is. I was really amazed at how well Mitt Romney handled his campaign. On Super Tuesday Kylan and I were glued to the TV watching as the results from the various states came in and each time a state came in with Huckabee 1st and Romney right behind him I would think, "I wish I lived in West Virginia so I could show people that Mormons aren't weird!" I've always loved living in Utah, but this campaign has really made me wonder if we shouldn't spread our influence out a little more throughout the country?
I loved the example Mitt Romeny set as a member of the LDS church and the attention he brought to the church. I think one of the best effects of his campaign is the way the church has responded to inform people that are ignorant about our beliefs and practices. Elders Ballard and Cook of the Quorum of the 12 oversee the Church's public affairs and have made a big push to get active online both officially as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and as individual members. In a commencement address at BYU-Hawaii Elder Ballard encouraged members of the church to start discussions online through blogs, YouTube, MySpace, etc.
I think it is so amazing that the Church is able to communicate to people of all ages and beliefs all over the world. I hope that this initiative will help change some of the misperceptions people have about members of the Church and for this reason, I am so glad that Mitt Romney ran for President. Watch out 2012!

4 comments:
I'm glad you posted this. I felt "politically active" for the first time this primary go-around, but am a bit stumped as to who I'm actually going for vote for now.
Mitt sure did a lot of good for our society and I too am hoping that people begin to recognize that religious bigotry is alive and well in the US. It's amazing how Satan can get ahold of the hearts of the people and cause them to misunderstand mormonism and make them fear what they don't know/understand. It's clearly a testiment to me of the truthfulness of our Gospel, the fact that Satan would work so hard to derail such good works.
Love the update! Lili is so cute and I'm so happy that you're obsessed with LOST too! Oh and congrats on choreographing a winner! That's awesome :)
What the 4 posts in one week? YAY Jen is alive!
I have to say, living somewhere other than Utah is the greatest. (I know... do you believe I really just said that?!) You really see how the world perceives the LDS church. And yet, it's really on an individual basis. Some of my students say they have many Mormon friends, and that they really like them and look up to their standards. Then there's our neighbor (Jehova's Witness) who literally won't even look us in the eye. It's crazy. There are so many good people in the world- Mormon or not- that are still making good decisions, still honest, full of integrity, and harboring the Light of Christ. If we can touch those people by the gospel, then I think we've done a great job.
Oh, and way to go South Sevier! That rocks!
Post a Comment