Monday, February 23, 2009

Omaha!

My sister and brother-in-law are living in Omaha Nebraska right now while my brother-in-law goes to dental school. My mom and I have been dying to go visit them and decided that her birthday was a great time to go. (it also helped that we got our tickets for half price!) February isn't normally the recommended time to visit the midwest, but we really lucked out and had beautiful weather the whole time. We saw all the Omaha sights (yes there are quite a few!), went to eat at a couple of great restaurants, went to a couple of movies, and had an overall great time. Thanks for letting us come visit!

Abraham Lincoln named Omaha the headquaters for Union Pacific railroad and for a long time the railroad was the lifeline of the area. This engine was built during WWII and carried war supplies from Omaha to Ogden, UT throughout the war.

At the Winter Quarters cemetary. It was freezing this day! I couldn't even fathom living in a tent for the whole winter...I'm such a baby! The Winter Quarters temple is about 200 yards in front of us. The church purchased the cemetary and the land for the temple and visitors center from the Catholic Church for $1. Maybe the first time the Catholic's have struck us such a bargain!
Standing in front of the pedestrian bridge that crosses the Missouri River. Would you believe it was almost 60 degrees this day!?! We really lucked out because the day my mom and I left there was a huge blizzard and school was cancelled!

We love doing projects together and while we were there my sister taught us how to make these darling quilts. I made this one for Lili for Valentine's and have the fabric to make another one for our new baby. It was a very fun project because it was surprisingly easy! I finished that whole quilt in about three days!

All in all we had a great time. I love my sister so much and after having her live so far away for almost a year it was so great to spend time with her!

Next post...the adventures of Lili and Dad while Mom was gone!

4 comments:

Michaelson Family said...

It looks like you had such a fun time. I wish I lived closer to family too. It is so hard when you get to see them only every once in a while...hard on everyone, and hard on my bank account. I always seem to spend so much when I am around my family b/c we are doing so many fun things to make up for lost time.
LOVE the quilt! wish you were around to show me how to make one.

zeb.holly.van.gretchen said...

Great pics!Looked cold but lots of fun!

Jayson and Julianne said...

Oh, if only you and Kylan could move to Omaha (or if we could be in Utah again...) I just loved having you here and I wish we could do it again sooner. I can't wait to see you and that new baby in May! Lots of love.

Sara said...

Looks like so much fun! You look great P.S.! And it looks like your hubby did a great job taking care of your daughter while you were gone. It's so nice to be able to feel secure leaving Daddy home alone with the kids.