It's always fun to find one of those books that you just can't put down and end up reading "just one more chapter" about five times before you finally go to bed. Well, I found one of those unexpectedly. I read the whole Twilight series and enjoyed them but wasn't very interested in trying Meyer's other book, "The Host". I hadn't heard anyone say they enjoyed it as much as the Twilight books and most people I talked to hadn't even finished it because they didn't like it. The first person I heard of that really liked the book was my dad (oddly enough!)Anyway, I love to read and am always open to something new so I decided to give it a shot. I was hooked immediately. I enjoyed The Host more than Twilight for a number of reasons. The main one being that I liked the characters better; in the Twilight series Bella was annoyingly insecure (until the very end of Breaking Dawn) and I thought Edward was a little overbearing. The characters in The Host seemed much more human (even the alien!) and were better developed with more complex relationships and feelings. In addition to this it had more action and intrigue and just an overall fascinating premise. I highly recommend it!
Kylan and I have a strict policy of supporting LDS films. Now along with this dedication comes a few great films, like the Best Two Years, and a whole lot of embarassingly idiotic ones, like Baptists at our BBQ, Sons of Provo, Churchball, etc. It's just expected that you'll win some and you'll lose some. I'm sure that most of you have experienced a couple of the losers yourselves, unfortunately there seems to be more losers than winners! I'm sorry again to those of you that we dragged to Sons of Provo, that was a bad one!Last weekend we went and saw the newest LDS film The Errand of Angels. The story is about a sister missionary serving in Austria and all of the experiences she has as a missionary. It was a great show and was pretty well made. It didn't quite reach the status of The Best Two Years, but it had a great message and good enough acting/script/filming that it was enjoyable to watch. the overall message was positive about missionary work and uplifting about the gospel. We really enjoyed the movie and feel like we had "won one" with this film. Go support this one, you won't be disappointed.
4 comments:
i hope that means what i think it means:) my friends dad has a t-shirt shop so i went over to it and had him scan my ultrasound pic for me and put it on a shirt! it ended up looking really cute! can't wait to see you guys in oct!
I also enjoyed the Host, while I think that my sisters who started the book the same time as I did are still trying to get though it. I'm glad you enjoyed it too.
Whoa, Jen... I like your reading style. That's EXACTLY, word for word, how I felt about Twilight vs. the Host.
Jen. I must say that you might have won me over with that post on the Host. I read it and found myself thinking it was getting TOO ridiculous and science-fictiony for me. I always felt embarrassed trying to convince someone to read a book about vampires, but to tell them to read a book about aliens taking over the world one body at a time? It was too much for me. BUT, I did, however, like girl. Don't remember her name though.
Post a Comment