Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lake Vallecito, CO

Our whirlwind summer continued the minute we got off the plane in PHX from our Cline family reunion in CA. Ken picked us up at the airport around 5 pm, in the truck pulling his three Harley's, ready to begin the 10 hour drive to the Durango area. 

It was a long day.

The area was absolutely stunning and a welcome relief from the heat of an Arizona summer!
If life ever takes us back to Arizona, it will be with one condition. 
That we own a cabin somewhere in SW Colorado. I will pick the kids up from their last day of school with the car packed and come back the night before the next school year begins. 
It was beautiful.
 
 Elise, Whitney and I enjoyed a lot of relaxing with the kids. We waded in the stream, wandered in the trees, took lots of naps...
 ...and of course drove down to the little market for ice cream cones!
Serelle was a little slow licking the ice cream, but these two did just fine!
 Queen of the mountain!
 We all suffered from lots and lots of bug bites.  Although our time spent in the beautiful mountains was well worth the itchy legs!
 Serelle and I were really excited to drive the "Rhino" down the mountain back to the cabin. We had her strapped into the carseat which was strapped into the Rhino and she was ready to go, but when we put on the goggles - she was done. We made it through a couple of pictures, but as you can see by the look on her face, she was not a happy camper. I tried to persuade. I tried to bribe. But with Lili in the car fevering and a screaming sidekick, I opted to scratch the 4-wheeling. Next time we'll bring pink sunglasses and she'll be set!
A half-hearted thumbs up. What a good sport!

Thanks to Elise for planning such a fun weekend in the woods!

2 comments:

Jayson and Julianne said...

Poor Serelle is trying to be brave, but looks like she just really doesn't want to. Please have a cabin in CO and we can all come visit.

mrs. timberlake said...

EEEEEEK! Growing up, my summers were spent renting condos in Purgatory, CO!!!!! I love Durango, Ouray, Silverton --- all of it! I thought it was just my little well kept secret of a place.