Tuesday, December 7, 2010

BIKE


transition from swim to bike
12 minutes in the tent
at this point Kylan was feeling strong and he had a huge smile on his face.
Kade, Elise and the girls had arrived and we were ready to move over the bike viewing spot.


notice all the bikes still racked as Kylan started the bike portion! Go Kylan!
the bike route was about 37 miles long and the athletes circled the route three times to complete the 112 mile bike portion. this meant that we were able to stay in one place and see Kylan six times as he came and went past us.




the cheerleaders

just like the swim, Kylan completed the first loop of the bike much quicker than we anticipated. because of this we weren't able to get our cameras out quickly enough to get pictures of him on the first loop. he rode strong and averaged 21 mph on the first loop, incredible!

the weather was really weird throughout the whole day and we were able to experience just about every type of weather AZ has to offer. we had sun, we had rain, and the bikers had a lot of wind out on the far side of the course. reports came back of 50 + mph wind. you can imagine how that felt on a bike! this is a shot of the soaking spectators after the first round of rain!


coming in for the second turnaround. riding strong and still smiling

Serelle decided the stickers on this poster needed to be rearranged


coming in from the bike course. unfortunately, Kylan's knee let go around mile 82.
he ended up unclipping his left leg
and single-stroke peddling with his right leg. needless to say,
the smile was gone...
we all wondered why he came in with one leg hanging limp?
2.4 + 112 miles down, 26.2 miles to go
one hour + six hours, 6 more to go

3 comments:

remi said...

Kylan, you're my hero. Maybe the secret to a long, handsome life is running triathalons....I mean, look how handsome our dad is?!?! Seriously?! Maybe he COULD pull off a full length elk skin coat......

Whitney or Kevin said...

You may be wondering why you haven't hear from me. It's because I can't wrap my head around it! I'm still in shock! I hate to swim- mostly because I'm bad at it and I constantly feel like I could drown. I have never ridden a road bike and I ran a 5K and although I liked it that felt like my max distance. I'm a total wimp and I'm still in total shock that you did it. You are now welcome into the "I'm as strong as a women who's given natural child birth" group. You have to know what it must feel like now. And now that I know that feeling and that you were going through it--I feel a little sick to my stomach thinking about it. I'm so proud of you, you did so great. I want to hear about all of it.

Whitney or Kevin said...

Doesn't dad look like Harrison Ford in that picture with Lili? Like the latest Indiana Jones- Harrison Ford, not the ear pierced, Calista Flockhart-Harrison Ford.