Saturday, February 27, 2010

a deal's a deal

even if I hate it.

I guess it was my idea.

You see, I am a compulsive reader. That's right, nerd alert.

I recently became completely and utterly addicted to a 6-volume historical fiction series, thanks a lot Remi. Needless to say, dinner was not prepared, diapers were not changed, showers were not taken, children and husband were completely ignored (literally, I wouldn't even answer when they tried to talk to me.)

So in an effort to get back in control of myself I made a deal.

1 non-fiction book of an educational nature to 1 fictional book. (Now don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm reading mindless novels, my "drug" of choice is historical fiction so I am still learning...right?)

Easy enough?

Wrong. You try staying engrossed in "The 7 Habits for Highly Effective People" when you have "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" sitting on your night stand! (I actually am enjoying the 7 Habits, but the Society is really calling my name!)

So, my request is this...if you can recommend a good, interesting book of an educational nature (parenting, health, finance, etc.) I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm going to need something good to tide me over before I'm allowed to read "Catching Fire"!

8 comments:

mrs. timberlake said...

What a great idea.

Here's my two cents on a suggestion:

How To Hug A Porcupine

by: Dr. John Lewis Lund

Whitney or Kevin said...

Billy Baldwin remembers
Parish-hadley

remi said...

I have a feeling the two whit suggested are design inspired.

Cole suggests a classic that was recently featured in a Hollywood Classic, that is, Dan in Real Life.

Everyone Poops.

Short, sweet, to the point, and on with Catching Fire....

I was going to say I wish I had your self control, but I'm almost done with Ina Mae's guide to Childbirth (although it took a serious backseat to the Hunger Games)....should I have admitted that?

Megan said...

I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. Fun book.

Fiction is my achilles heel too. Here are a couple non-fiction:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell (about how extraordinary people accomplish extraordinary tasks)

Do the scriptures count?

Christlike Parenting by Glenn Latham

BrittWilk said...

i love guernsey. one of my favs right now.

and i'm going to read " Mothering With Spiritual Power: Book of Mormon Inspirations for Raising a Righteous Family" by Debra Sansing Woods to change it up. i'm on #7 of 11 of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. It's completely heart warming and wonderful.

and historical fiction is my favorite.... i must know what 6-part series you just finished!!!! i want to be hooked to anything that good and "educational" too! :)

BrittWilk said...

just thought of another great non-fiction. have you read three cups of tea?? it's amazing.

Sara said...

What was the series you just finished? I'm always looking for good books to read. :-)

As for nonfiction, I have quite a few that I love, but you've probably read them... but feel free to email me if you want a list. :-)

Kacey said...

LOVED Guernsey! Are you on good reads yet? Well you should be then we could share all kinds of books with each other. What was the 6-part one you just read?
My book club (talk about nerd alert) read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver I recommend it if you like gardening and self sustaining etc. We also read Three cups of tea (I even got to meet the author) The Middle Place (met her too, it's about her getting breast cancer. . . among other things) The last one we read was Columbine by Dave Cullen, really good, a little disturbing.