Wednesday, December 26, 2007

My First Big Sewing Project

Ever since my parents gave me a sewing machine for my BYU graduation present, I've been interested in remembering how to sew. Somehow I didn't seem to learn very much from my outdoor clothing class at Alta High School! I finally decided that the perfect project for me to make was a Christmas dress for Liliahna. I looked forward to this learning adventure with great anticipation and a little bit of apprehension for a couple of weeks before I was able to gather up my courage and venture to the fabric store for the initial perusing of patterns and fabric. I was completely overwhelmed by the vast variety of styles of both dress design and fabric, do I use buttons or zippers, long sleeve or short, fancy or simple? How was I ever going to know how to do this!?!

Luckily a friend lent me a pattern and helped get me started, I had begun my great sewing adventure. After cutting the pattern out the pieces of Lili's dress sat on our table staring me down for a good, solid week before I ventured to open the directions and make the first stitch. My high hopes were quickly dashed when the first step instructed me to "stay-stitch" the neckline...what in the world is a stay stitch?!? I thought I might be able to skip to the second direction and somehow gain insight on the first. Nope, who knows what it means to "baste"?!?

After a discouraging start and a lot of help from my mom, Kylan's mom and my friend Colette I finished Lili's dress in time for her to wear it to church the Sunday before Christmas. It was a fun project and as long as you don't look too closely I think you'd be impressed with my first attempt at making clothes. I actually had a great time and enjoyed the process of learning a new skill. Although I feel very domestic, I learned a very important lesson...When making a dress for your child it is easy to spend both more time and more money than taking a quick trip to Baby Gap!!!











The following two pictures show what Lili did while I was lovingly making her Christmas dress... she was making a mess! She's learned that certain things are a little bit naughty and when she gets caught she always makes the same face!


3 comments:

Megan said...

Great job on the dress! I'll have to see it in person. And Lili's "in trouble face" is just too funny!

In response to your post on my blog: We should be around for about a month after the baby is born. We're due mid-July and we'll be moving mid-August. Hooray!

Troy, Erin and baby Boston said...

The dress looks great! Way to go! I have had a sewing machine for a while now and I'm scared to try it out for the first time too :)

Anonymous said...

Jen, I'm way impressed!